Emphasis: You don’t get to decide what women are deserving of your respect. WE ALL ARE.
Boyfriend bought me the cutest eevee plush
I’ve been going to anime/comic conventions for eight years, yet I still can’t explain what the significance of conventions are to people without having to go through a 20 minute explanation. It’s truly a life changing experience, I can tell you that for sure!! Here’s just a small example, but when I was younger I thought I was the only person on this planet that used Deviantart, until I attended Sakura Con. I ended up collecting over 50 business cards that had their DA links that year, and I thought that was the just coolest thing to know that I was not alone. Countless other moments had occurred that year where I met more and more people who knew of and appreciated the same things that I did. So I hope most of you can relate to that feeling of absolute bliss and joy of attending a con. uvu
Why do you like conventions? I’d love to hear your stories!!
- Species. If the species belongs to a phylum that already exists (reptile, bird, etc.) you need to follow the rules for that phylum. Say your species is fish-like. I expect them to spend most of their lives in water and have gills and/or breathe air. They have fins and a tail. They probably have external egg fertilization. And so on. Unless you handwave a part of their evolution as “magic influenced it”.
- Biome. You must consider where the species lives and how they’ve adapted for that environment. Antarctic birds with no other nutrition sources became penguins. Birds on the open plain lost their ability to fly and gained strong legs for running. You may use this Darwinian approach; alternately, your species could use magic that helps them survive. Either way, you must show how your species fits that part of the world.
- Balance. New fantasy species tend to fall into two categories: predator and humanoid. In the former, the predator is plopped into the middle of an already balanced ecosystem and set loose on the deer, rabbits, and elk that the native wolves should be eating. In the latter, the humanoids are basically humans with pointy ears/dwarfism/green skin/other defining trait. The fix is easy: in the former, what threatens the predator/humanoid? Don’t tell me nothing; all animals have a weak and helpless stage. All animals can catch diseases. You must create safeguards to prevent a race from overrunning the globe. Races that are smart or tough enough to overstep safeguards (humans, rats, cockroaches, cane toads) should be a major problem to your world.
- Variation. Did you know many animals have regional variations in coat/feather/scale color and size? Just like humans do? Wow. Your race will have a palette as well. They won’t all be white (damn you Tolkien elves). They’ll be whatever color they were made to be (magic) or whatever color fits best in their surroundings and/or attracts a mate (Darwinism).
- Reproduction and Lifespan. How fast does your race reproduce? Cheat code: Short-lived species (like mice and cockroaches) reproduce faster than long-lived species (horses, humans). Exceptionally large species (rhinos, elephants) tend to live a long time as well as reproduce slowly. Also, if your race is a fast reproducer, it’s probably at the bottom of the food chain. If it’s not a staple prey animal, then it will overrun the world faster than tribbles on the Enterprise. If the prey animal reproduces too slowly, it’ll go extinct. Slow reproducers are usually intelligent (rhinos excepted) and virtually untouchable at maturity, by dint of size (whales) or intelligence (humans).
- Societal response. My critique of many dragon-using fantasy books is that dragons fly, yet cultures still use castles with open courtyards, walkways, etc. You’d think they’d move underground or something. Dragons are still “unkillable”, despite humanity having several thousand years (usually) to figure out ways to kill them. And humans get damn creative when they need to ice something. Elves are magical, yet there aren’t human-run back-alley deals for powdered elf bone that guarantees more vigor during sex. Elves are magical, yet they prefer to sing flowers into shape than improving their agriculture or earning money improving others’ agriculture. You need to show your species interacting with others - positive and negative - instead of sealing it off in a vacuum.
Zodiac Pisces facts.
"Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own." - Paulo Coelho
http://www.twitch.tv/stormtrooperdood come watch my boyfirend and I on dc universe
Hobbit genderbend cosplay by Alexander Turchanin